Mar 01, 2024  
2017-2018 Catalog 
2017-2018 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Transfer of Credit

Credit-by-Examination or Experience

Students who believe that they already possess the knowledge and/or skills taught in certain courses or programs offered by the College may challenge these for credit-by-examination or experience. A request to challenge a course for credit may be based on superior high school achievement in the subject, non-traditional education, and/or appropriate work or other learning experiences. Credit-by-examination is not available in all courses offered by the College. Credit awarded through credit-by-examination/ experience does not satisfy the residency requirement toward graduation. Students should direct inquiries concerning courses that may be challenged for credit-by- examination to the campus Testing Center and/or the department involved.

The successful completion of any credit-by-examination or experience will result in a grade of credit (CR), which will not affect the grade point average. A student must be enrolled at least one full term at TCC and be enrolled at TCC during the term for which credit is posted on the permanent record.

A posting fee of $25 per course is charged to record the course on the student’s permanent transcript. Students may apply a maximum of 18 hours of credit toward any TCC degree in any combination of credit-by-examination/ experience.

Testing and/or posting fees are charged in accordance with schedules set by TCC policy and/or commercial testing agencies.

Credit for Military Service

Limited credit for military service is available to students who:

  • Graduated from a public or private high school accredited by a generally recognized accrediting organization or a Department of Defense high school or earned a GED; and
  • Were honorably discharged after serving at least two years of active service in the Armed Forces or were honorably discharged because of a disability.

Request forms are available from the campus Admissions and Registrar Office.

Students may also submit an official ACE Registry or Joint Services Transcript (JST) summarizing military training to the District Office of Academic Support Services for evaluation and determination of applicable credit. Students using VA Benefits must submit a JST for evaluation.

International Baccalaureate Diploma

Students who have received the International Baccalaureate Diploma may be eligible to receive up to 24 hours of transfer credit for courses completed with a minimum grade of four (4). An official transcript must be submitted to the District Office of Academic Support Services.

Transcript Evaluation

Students working toward a TCC associate degree or certificate of completion may require a transcript evaluation. Evaluations should be requested online through Web Advisor only after all transcripts are on file. Students who have completed coursework through a foreign college or university may request an evaluation through International Admissions.

Students transferring to TCC can expect that approved academic courses earned at any Texas public institution will be accepted in transfer. Students who dispute a transfer decision made by TCC should contact the District Records Office to request a review of the coursework involved.

Students planning to transfer TCC coursework to another college or university are advised to contact the transfer institution to determine its transfer policy. TCC has established transfer agreements with area colleges and universities. Campus Advising and Counseling Centers maintain course transfer information provided by area institutions.