Total Certificate Hours: 49
Students must meet requirements of Texas Success Initiative (TSI) , including assessment prior to enrollment in any college-level coursework and any indicated developmental education or other strategy for achieving college readiness.
Student must have credit for SGNL 1401 before taking SLNG 1211 .
Student must have credit for SGNL 1401 and SGNL 1402 before taking SGNL 2301 .
Student must have credit for SGNL 2301 before taking SGNL 2302 .
Special Admissions Criteria and Program Information:
A selection committee reviews applications and selects applicants who best meet the following criteria:
- Prior to admission to Interpreting II, students must successfully complete ASL I, II, III and IV and Composition I with a GPA of 3.0.
- Students must demonstrate language fluency and proficiency in both English and American Sign Language.
- Recommendations by American Sign Language instructors and/or Deaf Community members will be required.
Students who are selected for admission into interpreting specialized courses must complete and earn a minimum grade of “C” for each specialized course and Composition I.
After satisfactory completion of specialized courses in the Sign Language Interpreting Program, the student is prepared to take the state basic certification exam administered by the Board of Evaluators of Interpreters for the Deaf
Students seeking certification through the Board of Evaluators of Interpreters for the Deaf must meet the following requirements set forth by the Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services:
1) Pass a criminal background history;
2) Complete 30 hours of college credit to take the Test of English Proficiency; and
3) Complete a minimum of 60 hours of college credit to take the Basic performance test.