Sep 23, 2023  
2018-2019 Catalog 
2018-2019 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Transfer of Credit

Prior Learning Assessment

Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) awards college credit, certification or advanced standing for a student’s non-academic experiences and training. The process assesses learning gained outside a traditional academic environment to include military service, work experience, employer-training programs, independent study, non-credit courses, open courseware, or volunteer or community service.

An administrative fee of $25 per course is charged to award credit on the student’s permanent transcript. There is no fee associated with awarding credit for Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma, military related credit, or CE cross-listed courses.

Testing and/or posting fees are charged in accordance with schedules set by TCC policy and/or commercial testing agencies.


Students who believe that they already possess the knowledge and/or skills taught in certain courses or programs offered by the College may challenge these for credit-by-examination/experience. A request to challenge a course for credit may be based on superior high school achievement in the subject, non-traditional education, and/or appropriate work or other learning experiences. Credit-by-examination/experience is not available in all courses offered by the College. Credit awarded through credit-by-examination/experience does not satisfy the residency requirement toward graduation. Students should direct inquiries concerning courses that may be challenged for credit-by-examination/experience to the campus Testing Center and/or the department involved.

The successful completion of any credit-by-examination/experience will result in a grade of credit (CR), which will not affect the grade point average. A student must have been enrolled at least one full term (Fall, Spring, Summer) at TCC and be enrolled during the term for which credit is posted on the permanent record.

Credit for Military Service

Limited credit for military service is available to students who:

  • Graduated from a public or private high school accredited by a generally recognized accrediting organization or a Department of Defense high school or earned a High School Equivalency diploma; and
  • Were honorably discharged after serving at least two years of service in the Armed Forces or were honorably discharged because of a disability.

Request forms are available from the campus Admissions and Registrar office.

Students using Veteran Affairs (VA) benefits must submit a Joint Services Transcript (JST) for evaluation. Students must submit an official ACE Registry or JST summarizing military training to the District Office of Academic Support Services for evaluation and determination of applicable credit.

International Baccalaureate Diploma

Students who have received the International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma may be eligible to receive up to 24 hours of transfer credit for courses completed with a minimum grade of four (4). An official transcript must be submitted to the District Office of Academic Support Services. IB documents submitted to TCC will not be returned to the student.

Transcript Evaluation

Students working toward a TCC associate degree or certificate of completion may require a transcript evaluation. Evaluations should be requested online through Web Advisor only after all transcripts are on file. Students who have completed coursework through a foreign college or university may request an evaluation through the International Admissions office. Transfer credit of students receiving federal financial aid and/or VA benefits must be evaluated; students cannot receive these types of aid for courses they have previously completed.

Students transferring to TCC can expect that approved academic courses earned at any Texas public institution will be accepted in transfer. Students who dispute a transfer decision made by TCC should contact the District Records office to request a review of the coursework involved.

Students planning to transfer TCC coursework to another college or university are advised to contact the transfer institution to determine its transfer policy. TCC has established transfer agreements with area colleges and universities. Campus Advising and Counseling centers maintain course transfer information provided by area institutions.