Total Certificate Hours: 18
The courses listed above are taught in an academy format (daytime - Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and nighttime - Monday and Thursday from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m., and Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.) and have specialized admission requirements. Consent of the academy coordinator required for enrollment. Once admitted to the program, students must complete and earn a minimum grade of “C” in each course. Final endorsement of eligibility for the State Firefighter Licensing Exam will only be issued to a student who has completed each course (with a minimum grade of “C”) during that specific academy.
Enrollment is based on space availability for those who meet admission criteria.
Selective Admission Criteria:
- Students must contact the Fire Academy for academy dates and application deadlines.
- Prior to enrolling, students must provide evidence of EMT Certification.
- Students must provide evidence of completion of the TSI Assessment or approved alternative test*.
- Students must take the physical abilities test.
- Student must complete the Fire Academy application (available at the Fire Academy).
- Students must have a personal interview with the Academy Coordinator.
* This requirement may be waived by the Division Dean.
Licensing Notice: Texas House Bill 1508
This program prepares a student for an occupational license. However, the student may not be eligible for licensing if they have a prior criminal history. For more details, see House Bill 1508 Licensing Requirements .