Total Degree Hours: 60
* Student must complete the prerequisite courses with a “B” or better.
** Students who hold a valid ServSafe Manager Certificate may petition for Credits by Experience/Exam.
- Have a TCC Student Identification Number
- Be TSI compliant in reading and writing.
- Completion of MATH 0361 with a minimum grade of C or appropriate TSI Math placement score.
- Completed a minimum of 12 college credits (including the following two prerequisite dietetic courses) by the end of the semester: FDNS 1103 and HECO 1322
FDNS 1103 and HECO 1322 must be completed with a “B” or better within the last five years from the starting semester. Additional eight college credits must be completed within the last five years with a “C” or better.
Students enrolled in FDNS 1103 and HECO 1322 may apply to the Dietetic Technician program prior to course completion. However, students will not be admitted to the program until the course grade is published on student’s transcript.
Students interested in applying to the Dietetic Technician Program may also register for the following courses prior to being accepted into the Dietetic Technician Program: FDNS 1103 , HECO 1322 , FDNS 1370 , FDNS 1371 , CHEF 1205 , or any of the required general classes.
A selection committee reviews the applications and selects those applicants based on the Applicant Score. There is no minimum GPA requirement.
Applicant Score = Grade Point Average of Dietetics Courses completed within the last five years+bonus points
Bonus points are assigned based on the following criteria.
- Work on voluntary experience in the field of dietetics and healthcare within the last seven years (Only verified experience will be awarded bonus points.)
- Prior Associate, Bachelor or Graduate’s degree (Official Transcript required)
- Final Grade in Dietetics and Anatomy and Physiology Courses within last five years (Official Transcript required)
Program Completion Requirements:
- All DITA, FDNS, HECO and IFWA courses with a “C” or better to graduate from the Dietetic Technician Program.
- FDNS 1346 and FDNS 1447 must be completed within five years from graduation.
- All students must complete a minimum of 450 supervised practice hours (over three practicum courses) and receive satisfactory practicum evaluation to complete the DT program.
- Students not enrolled in dietetics courses for two consecutive semesters will be removed from the program.
- Students who meet all verification requirements will be eligible to sit for the national NDTR (Nutrition Dietetic Technician, Registered) credentialing examination.
Students accepted into the program must undergo and receive a clear criminal background check and negative substance abuse screening. In addition, students are required to meet physical requirements and Dietetics Program immunization requirements, and provide proof of CPR for healthcare provider, ServSafe Manager Certification, and valid Texas driver license prior to starting practicum rotation.
See DT Program handbook or TCC website for additional information.
TCC Dietetic Technician Program is accredited by Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics.